Friday 11 October 2013

New GRO Research Room: first 'photoshoot'

The GRO Research Room in Dublin has been open in its new location for a full two weeks today, so it seemed time to produce a few photos. The pix below were sent to me by a professional genealogist who described the interior as 'a bit Cold War' and I can see what they mean. I definitely don't like the 'hatch' window idea, the railway station ceiling or the prison grey walls (or is that a 'hint of lilac'), but I guess it's not as bad as it could have been.

'Just remember Lombard Street', I keep telling myself.

Of more concern is a couple of independently voluteered comments I've received about junkies hanging around the joint. As one genie told me: 'I can handle myself, but I wouldn't want to be leaving there at five o'clock during the winter when it's dark. I would imagine it's just a matter of time before some unsuspecting tourist is picked off.'

Let's all be on our guard.